Hello everyone! In this Post, I will describe my experience writing my first patch set to the Linux Kernel, more specifically in the Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) subsystem.
Why I’m Doing This
Two years ago, when I started university, I became excited about open-source software. Before university, I had heard about Linux, Vim, and other open-source projects, but never used or read much about them.
I’ve found that using those technologies made my workflow much better. When I entered an extracurricular group called Zenith, I met some friends there, like Maíra Canal, that were already interested in contributing.
My first contribution was a patch started in a hackathon, made by LKCAMP, to the Linux Kernel that I co-developed. The experience of creating it was quite interesting. After it, I contributed a couple more times, once to the LLVM and again to the Linux Kernel, where I made my first own patch.
Now I feel that the GSoC 2023 will be a perfect opportunity to work even more in the open-source community, something that I really like to do. This patchset is part of my initiation on the GSoC project Idea about Increasing Code Coverage on the DRM code. The main idea is to increase the test coverage of the DRM core helpers by adding more KUnit tests to it.
The idea is to decrease number of warnings generated when compiling the AMD GPU drivers with
This is a pretty simple task to start working on, as is not needed an specific hardware to test it.
Sometimes this work could be viewed as not useful, but it is a much-needed job that sometimes is put aside on behalf of more urgent problems. It makes the code less error-prone, more readable, and simpler, helping others in developing.
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc
Or you can add the remote to an existing local repository of the Linux Kernel. (That was what I did :P).
git remote add drm-misc git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm-misc
And create a local branch based on the
git checkout drm-misc/drm-misc-next git checkout -b fix-warning
After that I used the defconfig and added the AMDGPU config as a module with the menuconfig.
make defconfig make menuconfig # Add AMDGPU as a module
The idea is trying to resolve the warnings that appear when building the AMDGPU code. Considering
the kernel uses the
-Werror flag, the build will stop after any warning, which can make the
development process a bit tricky. To speed up the process it is possible to add
KCFLAGS in the make command with the
W=1. This way you be able to resolve multiple warnings in
make W=1 KCFLAGS='-Wno-error' modules
This will compile the module and generate all the warnings, which can be a bit overwhelming as all types of warnings appear together.
To focus into one warning you can remove the
W=1 flag and add the specific to
KCFLAGS, so the
final command would be:
make KCFLAGS='-Wno-error -W<specific-warning>' modules
What was done
The patch set focused in four types of warnings:
Warn when a variable has its value changed but never used in any other way. The warning could be indicative that the code its not doing what it was meant to do. It also makes the code less readable with dead code.
Warn when a value of enumerated type is implicitly converted to a different enumerated type.
Warn if a global function is defined without a previous prototype declaration.
Excess arguments on Kernel docs
Warn when arguments are described on the kernel doc but not present on the function definition.
At first the set was composed only by 4 patches, one for each type of warning, but after some advice from Maíra Canal they were split even more as different tactics were used to fix the same type of problem in different places.
How I Sent
For a more in depth procedure, please read the kernel documentation about this topic.
First, I used the
check-patch utility to check all the commits for any code style error
./scripts/check-patch --strict -g drm-misc/drm-misc-next
--strict: enable more subjective tests
-g drm-misc/drm-misc-next: check all the commit until the drm-misc-next branch
To format the patchset I used the git format-patch utility
# On the fix-warning branch git format-patch drm-misc/drm-misc-next -o outgoing --cover-letter
drm-misc/drm-misc-next: get all the commits until the drm-misc-next branch
-o outgoing: place the patches on the outgoing directory
--cover-letter: generate a first patch file with a cover letter to write about the whole patch
After I wrote my cover letter and made various sanity checks such as: compiling the kernel one more
time and reading the patch files to spot any errors. I used the
get_maintainer utility to find the
maintainers and mailing lists to which I had to send my patches.
outgoing/*: read all the patches inside the
After that I used the
git send-email to send the patches to all the emails that were maintainers
or supporters on the
get_maintainer output and to the dri-devel and amd-gfx mailing lists.
git send-email \ --email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org' \ --cc='<emails-of-maintainers-and-subscribers>' outgoing/*
To a tutorial on how to setup git send-email, I recommend the sourcehut tutorial.
After all this work I needed to wait for responses and hope that no dumb errors were present :).
How the Patch was Received
Fortunately the patches had a pretty good response!
The first version of the patch set had 10 patches and six of them were accepted with no requests for changes. The other four received different responses: One was thought unnecessary, another hasn’t had any response yet, and the other two were requested some modification.
Those last couple ones will be sent on the second version of this patch.
What To Do Next
After this first version I’ll send a v2 with the 2 patches that were asked revision and the patch that did not receive any response on the v1.
See ya! :)